Creating a Sweet Melissa Sandwich with the Friendly City Co-Op
Welcome back to Tree to Table with Shenandoah Valley Orchards! This month we are joined by Michael, of Friendly City Food Co Op in Downtown Harrisonburg. He will be sharing his recipe for a delightful sandwich called the Sweet Melissa. This mouthwatering creation features our sweet and juicy, tree ripened Peaches. Get ready for a taste of summer with this unique and mouth watering creation!
When you bite into a Shenandoah Valley Peach, you can expect to be greeted by a burst of juicy goodness. The flesh is tender and succulent, and the natural sugars will leave a delectable, lingering sweetness on your palate. What sets them apart is their unique cultivation method of allowing the peaches to ripen on the tree until they reach peak maturity.
This delectable creation, aptly named the "Sweet Melissa" after the deli manager, is the star of the summer menu at the Friendly City Food Co-Op. The combination of the perfectly grilled peaches, whipped goat cheese, savory deli ham, vibrant arugula, and refreshing pico is truly a revelation. It's a sandwich that defies expectations, offering a unique balance of grounded sweetness and a delightful kick from the arugula.
- 4 fresh peaches from Shenandoah Valley Orchards
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- A handful of fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- Deli ham
- Goat cheese (whipped for easier spreading)
- Peach preserves
- Agave syrup
- Rice vinegar
- Pinch of salt
Step 1: Preparing the Grilled Peaches:
- Score the fresh peaches with a knife, creating shallow cuts all around.
- Place the peaches on a preheated grill, allowing them to cook until slightly charred and softened.
- Remove the peaches from the grill and wrap them in plastic wrap to continue cooking with the residual heat for about 5 minutes.
Step 2: Preparing the Pico:
- In a bowl, combine the diced red onion and thinly sliced mint leaves.
- Toss them together gently, preserving the flavors and textures.
- Set the prepared pico aside.
Step 3: Assembling the Sandwich:
- Take a slice of sourdough bread and spread a layer of whipped goat cheese on it.
- On top of the goat cheese, spread a small amount of peach preserves.
- Place a few slices of deli ham on the preserves.
- Add a generous amount of arugula on top of the ham.
- Spoon a portion of the prepared pico over the arugula, spreading it evenly.
- Top the sandwich with another slice of sourdough bread.
Step 4: Enjoy!
Note, this recipe can be easily adjusted to accommodate different serving sizes. Feel free to customize the ingredients and quantities according to your preferences.
Our visit to the Friendly City Food Co-Op was a delightful experience, thanks to Michael’s creativity! The Sweet Melissa sandwich is a true testament to the versatility of our peaches and a celebration of summer flavors. We highly recommend visiting the Friendly City Food Co-Op to savor this extraordinary creation. Stay tuned for our next culinary adventure, where we explore more exciting recipes using the delectable produce from Shenandoah Valley Orchards!